Do I Qualify? If you answer YES to ONE of the following questions, then you may* qualify for dual citizenship.
1)Â Â Â Â Â Was your mother or father an Italian citizen when you were born?
- Note: If one of your parents renounced their Italian citizenship at any point, you may or may not be eligible to apply.
2)Â Â Â Â Â If you were born after January 1, 1948 â€“ was your maternal grandfather or great-grandfather an Italian citizen at the time your mother was born?
3)Â Â Â Â Â Was your paternal grandfather or great-grandfather an Italian citizen at the time your father or grandfather was born? Â
- Note: if applying through your fatherâ€™s relatives, you do not need to have been born after Jan. 1, 1948. You must have been born after this date, however, if applying through your motherâ€™s relatives.
4)Â Â Â Â Â If your spouse is an Italian citizen â€“ have you been married for three or more years?
*For each of these qualifications, there may be exceptions. Contact the Consulate General of Italy in Chicago during regular office hours by phone at: (312) 467-1550, by e-mail at: Â firstname.lastname@example.org or through their website.Â
*For further assistance or for questions about seeking dual Italian citizenship, contact Senatore Renato G. Turano at 708.788.922 ext 387.
*For information about professional assistance from the Italian dual-Citizenship Assistance Program, go to the ICAP website.Â Â
I may qualify – how do I apply?
- Before starting the process, you will need:
- A certified copy of your birth certificate
- A copy of your US passport
- A completed AIRE form
- You will alsoÂ need the following documents specific to the relative through whom you are claiming citizenship:
- Relativeâ€™s birth certificate
- Relativeâ€™s certificate of Italian citizenship
- Relativeâ€™s naturalization certificate
- Relativeâ€™s marriage certificate (certified copyÂ ApostilleÂ if issued in the US)
- If applying through right of blood, you will need to complete a jure sanguinis form.
- If you are applying through your spouse, you will also need to complete an application through marriage form.Â
- Mail these documents to:
Â Â Â Â Consulate General of Italy
Â Â Â Â Attention: Dott. Luciano Oddo
Â Â Â Â 500 N Michigan Ave, Suite 1850
Â Â Â Â Chicago, IL 60611